Monday, December 13, 2010

.comfort food.

Favorite Recipe:
This is an easy yummy recipe that is a variation of twice baked potatoes. This is a go to recipe for me, especially around this time of year when I want warm comfort food.


Recipe-

2-4 large russet potatoes washed and poked with a fork. (you can really use whatever potatoes you like)

l medium squash (any variety works...I like butternut or acorn)

Cheese

butter

milk

salt & pepper

* Cook the potatoes and squash together in a 400 degree oven for about an hour (this is the longest part, but I usually put them in and do other tasks around the house until its all cooked). When the potatoes and squash are tender pull them out of the oven. Slice the tops off the potatoes and scoop out the innards into a mixing bowl (save the skins). Also scoop out the meat of the squash into the bowl with the potatoes. I do the rest of this just to my liking (I always hated when I would ask my mom to give me specific measurements and she would just say some of this...a little of that, and now I'm doing the same). Depending on how much you made, I usually add anywhere from a half to a whole stick of butter (less if your health conscious), about 1/3- 1/2 cup of milk, cheese to your liking, and salt & pepper to taste. Mix all together until you get the consistency of mashed potatoes. Scoop mixture back into potato skins and sprinkle with cheese and throw back in the oven for 10 minutes. You will have left over potato/squash mixture, but I just keep for a side. Serve with your favorite green veggie...green beans, broccoli, whatev....

Anyways it's way yummy and fairly simple. Sorry if it doesn't make sense because I just wing it as I make it usually, but I never mess it up and that is saying something! Oh and I should also add, Roy won't touch squash with a ten foot pole, but he devours these potatoes. So it's even good for those picky eaters out there.

No comments: