Friday, August 6, 2010

.no more mail.

This week has been a doozy of a week for the finances, and I say this mostly because we have spent what seems like a million dollars on business stuff (in reality it was only a couple thousand). I have really been happy with how well we have done our first year in business. We have already done 3 races and have 3 others before the end of October...all of these without any advertising or a working website. It's definitely been a learning experience and every race we get seems to have some kind of different element that we have to adjust to or become creative with, which is great because eventually we should actually be in a place where we have everything we need. But in the mean time we have to spend money to make money...I know...right?...novel concept. Anyways we have prepared ourselves for this, but it's still hard to write those big checks.
So here we are spending the big bucks, or what seems like it, and I get Roy's dentist bill. I had anticipated this, but when I opened it it was for $168! I kept thinking it shouldn't be that high with insurance. I opened another letter with official IRS written all over it. Again not unusual as we are constantly getting business tax info. This letter was to inform us that we had been fined $178 because we had filed our partner taxes late. I'm new to this whole business tax stuff, and I'll be honest, I got the dates mixed up for the filing. I didn't think it would be a big deal because we owned nothing for the first filing. Apparently I was wrong...ouch expensive mistake! And to top it all off I opened one final letter last night from our family practitioner, and wouldn't you know another bill for $155...again where is our insurance coverage? So in the space of one week we had not only spent loads on the business but accumulated another $500 dollars in unexpected bills...NO BEuNO!
Here's the good news...Roy was assigned to deal with his health bills, and apparently the dentist bill was wrong and should have only been $66 dollars. And the Dr.'s office sent that bill in error and said that the insurance would take care of it. Huge relief! Now all I have left is to plead ignorance to the IRS and hope the are lenient. So in the end we aren't as bad off as it first appeared, but non the less we are definitely going to be living on the minimum this month...I'll take that challenge of $50 a week and make it happen!

1 comment:

ANG said...

So what you're saying is that Roy's dental bill is a "business expense?" You gotta shine those pearly whites to make the big bucks.