Tuesday, October 19, 2010

.back on back.

Here we are 6 months and some change and things are really starting to become, shall I say, weird. Pregnancy is filled with Do's and Do Not's of course, and for obviously good reasons, but the further I get along this journey the more paranoid I'm getting. One of the things I should be doing is sleeping on my sides...specifically my left side. This hasn't been a huge problem until recently. Nerves are being pinched and legs are getting restless and I find that the last place I want to lay is on my side. I'm a back sleeper...of all the positions one can fall asleep, I prefer my back so I'm horrified when I wake to find myself on my back instead of my LEFT side. Am I slowly depriving my child of life when I unconsciously roll over in the middle of the night? If so what is a person to do to stop themselves from rolling over into this position? Anyways just some paranoia that is rolling around in my head.

6 comments:

Hayley said...

Beth, my dr said that if you wake up that way, not to panic. He also said that the most damage would happen to me sleeping that way, but that it could cause the cord to get pinched. Don't stress too much, just know that it is only going to get worse til he's born.

Liz said...

Just from my experience, the further I get along in my pregnancies the more uncomfortable I get when I lay on my back because the baby starts getting heavier. I am also a back sleeper but find myself wanting to lay on my side instead. I wouldn't stress about it though!

ANG said...

pshaw! I'm not saying Dr's are full of it - but seriously, don't worry about the sleeping on the "right" side (left isn't it?). I slept in whatever position was most comfortable through 5 pregnancies. Some nights I couldn't sleep on that side because I was too sore. Sometimes it felt best on my side - especially as baby gets heavier. Relax. Unless you are a high risk preg. I wouldn't give it much thought. I think of it as more of a guidline.

Kim said...

You could always tape a tennis ball to your back.... :) It seems like I've spent half my married life pregnant--oh wait, I have--and by this time have to remind myself that I CAN lay on my back if I want to. Don't worry too much. Babies often have a way of thriving no matter what their absent-minded mothers put upon them.

Kay said...

i liked putting a pillow between my knees. body pillows are also nice, because you can rest your tummy on them too. on the name thing. don't panic, but lena also said that several hollywood stars are hooked on the name as well. just in case you wanted to have the only Finn in the the world, i thought you should know :)

Leons said...

Bethy, no need to worry. I too worried about the same thing when I was pregnant with Alexander. Especially because I too would wake up on my back. I never put a pillow in between my legs, but I do hear that works. There will be more concerns and worries and you move along, but don't worry, there are plenty of people to hopefully calm your concerns. Don't hesitate to ask. Love you.