Thursday, April 22, 2010

.it may choke Arty.

Often times while I'm in the produce section at the grocery store, I notice all sorts of strange and unusual items, things I've never heard of or seen before. They always peek my interest, and get my mind a-wondering about how they taste, or what do you do with it. And most of the time I push my cart right on by...intimidated by their obscurity. Something similar happens when I look through a cook book and see ingredients that I can't pronounce. It's not that I don't want to try them, (I'm up to try almost anything really) it's just all of the unknown that gets in the way. I've made a bad habit of ignoring things that don't make sense or seem too different. But this week I took a leap...a food leap. It occurred to me, after I saw some artichokes on sale, that I have never attempted to cook one of these bad boys.Now artichokes may not seem very exotic or strange, but to me it was something completely new. I washed, snipped, cut, and steamed them and then shared them with some good friends. And you know what? Artichokes are not too shabby. We dipped it in butter because the dang Holindase sauce turned out tasting like crap. But for what it's worth, I think it turned out fine....not amazing or spectacular, but fine. I think perhaps I'll try to incorporate some more bizarre food into my life.

1 comment:

Hayley said...

i thought the whole meal was delish. and that you did very well with the artichokes. my only regret was that i couldn't eat more. :) (i hate getting so full so fast these days.)