Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Where are you from?


Not an unusual inquiry I know, but I often get this question after I start talking. This didn't use to be an issue. In fact growing up my identity was never questioned. Moving a few 100 miles north to Logan, UT seemed to do the trick. It was here my first year I picked up my first accent, nothing authentic mind you, but just a funky blend of whatever I could pull from my mind. My first year roommates only encouraged this behavior by mimicking me. We would go home for Holidays and talk normal the whole time while home, but as soon as we called each other we transformed into our alternate self's. I assumed that as long as I wasn't around any of my roommates I talked completely normal. It wasn't until I started getting the constant questioning of where I was from that I started to think I might have unconsciously picked up a random accent. I continued on through my years of college with inquiries as to the origin of my strange vernacular continuing. I eventually moved down to salt lake leaving behind my college accent and the questions. That was until I moved in with some new friends who had there own fun southern twang, that I gradually picked up as we talked. The question was raised again, "Where are you from?"... (me looking slightly confused) "South Jordan...?!?" But eventually, just as I had done with my "Logan" accent, I moved on, and packed it into a small forgotten corner of my mind. Recently, I have discovered that I have not lost them as completely as I thought I had. This year while at girls camp I told a few stories of my college days to the girls only for them to demand that I say certain words again. I thought this was strange until I realized why. They were all trying to figure out where I was from. All I could do was laugh at there requests, because I couldn't believe I had fallen back into my old college self. I still get requests from them to say something to them in my accent (I'm not even sure what it is). It does my heart good to think that I can throw so many without even trying. And apparently Roy has picked up my accent as well, as I see them often commenting that he sounds like me when he says certain words. So here's to the girls that made my accent what it is today, whatever that may be and confusing people as to where I'm from.

1 comment:

Jill said...

I've heard people refer to you as a True New Yorker. I've also heard you pick up on quite a few here at work. With the phone calls we get from all over the nation you've been from The South, Boston and even Murray Utah. "Hey... this is Brigham at S&S" (Said in a very slurred manner)