Monday, January 27, 2014

.randomness.

As the title implies, this post is composed of all the random bits procured over the past week or so, and just a few thoughts for the coming one.

Despite being pregnant and exhausted, I have made it through the entire winter without nary a sniffle.  The kids had a few colds, and Roy had the flu, but I seemed to dodge it all...until this past weekend. It wasn't even that bad, but I had some sort of sinus bug that sapped what little energy I had.  I laid around like a slug all weekend, and just started feeling a bit more like myself last night.  This morning I'm happy to report that I feel renewed and back to regular tired self.

This week marks the last one of watching little Gavin.  When I took on the post of child care about 7 months ago, I wasn't planning on being pregnant, and being able to do it for a bit of time.  That all changed in August when we found out #3 was on the way.  I knew I couldn't watch another child with a new baby, and emotionally I have had a rough round this time so I told my dear friend I couldn't do it any more.  Physically, it's coming at a good time because it's getting too hard to haul around two babies and get down on the floor and change diapers all day.  Add to all of that a rascally three year old who is requiring a lot of my patience, and it needs to happen.  As much as I love having happy Gavin, and I will miss that kid's smile (because it melts my heart), I'm looking forward to spending the remaining three months with just my two kids, and getting some things in order before #3 shows up.

Speaking of rascally three year olds,  I'm came to a conclusion about his recent increase in attitude.  Last week Finn started really fighting his afternoon naps (like not taking one at all, and keeping Meg from taking hers).  I had also noticed the last few weeks that he wasn't going to bed until close to 9:30.  I knew he was getting to the point of not having to nap, but I was really dreading giving up my time in the afternoon.  I finally gave in and stopped the naps on Tuesday of last week.  It suddenly occurred to me that that was when his attitude took a dive.  The obvious correlation?  The kid is getting used to the lack of sleep in the afternoon, and is usually quite tired by bed time.   Hence an ornery cuss that want's to fight about everything.  It seems so obvious now, but I didn't connect the two until Friday.
missing his nap, he fell asleep while watching a quite time show.  He has the face of a three year old who spent the afternoon playing in the dirt...it makes me happy to see it!

Our routine is changing a lot around here, especially with no napping.  We no longer watch any shows in the morning, and spend our time instead with toys, reading, or playing music.  When Meg is down for her morning nap, we have quite time were he can watch a show.  Then it's lunch and more play time with the babies.  During Meg's afternoon nap, we try to get outside especially since we get some nice sun on our south side.  I try to limit more tv watching, but depending on the night, I put it on when I'm making dinner to distract the kids from fighting over toys.  I'm planning on getting a binder put together with some worksheets and such to start having some learning time in the morning with Finn.  I'm kind of lazy when it comes to that, and It's something I'm trying harder to be better at.

I've started having my pregnancy insomnia again.  This happened with Meg's pregnancy too.  I usually fall asleep just fine, but wake up around 4 wide awake and usually feeling anxiety about giving birth.  Some nights I have the worst restless legs that just crawl.  I try to remind myself it's all just temporary and that it will all be over soon, but it still feels like a never ending cycle of needing sleep, but not getting it.

Spring seems so close that I can feel it.  It's been a rather mild January for Utah, which is just making me antsy for some warmer weather.  If only the air was as mild as the temperature we would be outside so much more.

We are starting the final stage of potty training Finn.  The initial try worked to some degree, but he was so inconsistent, I was getting tired of cleaning dirty underwear, and it was becoming such a battle between us, that I just decided it wasn't worth all the aggravation.  Buying diapers for another 6 months has totally been worth it!  The last couple of weeks we have dipped our toes back into it, and it has been SO much easier.  He does all the work himself, doesn't need to be reminded all that often, and there is absolutely no battle.  The goal: be out of diapers before baby arrives!


2 comments:

Elena Lunt said...

Good call with less TV - I always notice a big difference in my kids' behavior.

Kay said...

I don't mind using the tv as long as it's not on for 8 hours a day. It always helped mellow things out for me as well as the kids. You're doing an amazing job Beth, much better than I ever did. :) Btw, I couldn't find my "Parenting with love and logic" book. I must have loaned it out one too many times. I think Angie has one though.