Saturday, February 8, 2014

.remembering.

Last night as I was watching the opening ceremonies to the Sochi Olympic games, I was remembering my travels to St. Petersburg, Russia back when I was in college.  It's been so many years since then, but I could still recall many of the amazing things I saw and learned on that, my maiden travel voyage.  Strangely one of which is the metro's warning about closing doors...am I the only who has random foreign language sayings come to mind when they hear a certain sound?
That was my first trip outside of the U.S.
It was my first trip flying solo (although not originally planned that way)
It was my fist time having to get a visa, which we found out we had to have as I was leaving Salt Lake
It was my first time that I walked the streets of New York City looking for the Russian Consulate to get my overnight visa.
It was my first time riding in a New York taxi.
It was my first time traveling 12+ hours (I didn't sleep a wink because I was so nervous about navigating the Russian Airport by myself).
It was my first time experiencing life outside of my bubble ( it was a good bubble mom & dad).
It was scary, fun, exciting, eye opening, wonderful, and gave me the desire to travel!

 At the St. Peter and Paul fortress.  Behind you can take a gander at the ice capped river and the line of nearly naked bodies sunbathing along the fortress wall.  I think this day it was about 35 degrees...just above freezing.
 I was dumb enough to think that I would be warm enough with the coat and scarf that I would wear in Logan winters.  I wasn't.  Even in March, St. Petersburg is COLD COLD COLD.  Tamara (the women I stayed with), lent me her shapka to help keep me warm.  It was AWESOME, and yes very warm!
Near the summer palace with a Pushkin monument.

What an amazing world we live in, and I'm so grateful to have been able to see some of it!