Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Barren Thumb


With the change in weather a few weeks back, I got the sudden urge to plant something. Having grown up with a mother like mine I learned about lawn care and gardening before I learned to walk. I believed I would never find pleasure in the menial task of keeping a garden (I have had far too many blisters from weeding to find joy in it). However, after a long hiatus, I have found myself perusing the gardening section at the local smith's market place envisioning green herbs, beautiful smelling flowers, and ripened produce in my small plot of land.

As it has been too cold to really start anything outside I thought I would start some herb planters in the house. I planted, I watered, I watched, I watered some more....and then...Nothing! This fact became irrelevant this past Sunday when my planters met a quick and untimely end.
I had put the planters on a cookie sheet near our living room window for sunlight. As Roy was searching for something he stumbled back into my helpless plants (or in this case barren seeds in potting soil).

So there it is: my humble efforts ended up in the vacuum bag, but I am determined and will not be thwarted. I will start anew next Sat. and hope that I actually produce more than just twelve lil' pots of wet dirt.

1 comment:

Colette said...

my sympathies - I know what it is like to not posses a masterfully green thumb. Do you remember all those plants I killed of mine? And don't forget the one of your mothers that I killed. I am cursed!

also - my blog has a new url: colayette.blogspot.com