Sunday, April 15, 2012

.where are we going.

Finn is trudging his way through breakfast as I sit and type.   I think of that line from the Christmas Story all the time when he tells how his brother Randy hadn't voluntarily eaten a meal in several years.   It seems that is going to be our lot with Finn and food.  Unless its something he really likes like pears, he usually just mashes and pushes it around on his tray until it eventually gets thrown to the floor by his little hands.  I'm pretty sure he gets most of his calories from milk still...thankfully!  I guess I'm coming to terms that little man is not much of an eater, what bothers me most is all the wasted food that I try to get him to consume *sigh* oh well.



With a child I've discovered sometimes its best not to have any expectations, especially young ones, Easter was no exception.  Finn slept through the big Easter egg hunt, which is fine because when he did wake up he promptly found one egg and was content just to examine that single egg with its mysterious contents.  Sunday morning he played with his new animal fridge magnets and bubbles (which he says now), but mostly he just wanted daddy's bellybutton.  Finn is his own little person, with his own interests of the world around him.
On the home front this past week, I have made it a goal of mine to stay on top of the cleaning, especially in the kitchen.  Am I the only person who lets the dishes just pile up throughout the day, and then just hate it at the end of the day when I have to sit and do them all?  This is one of my MANY bad habits.  So this week I determined to do them after every meal and wash the counters and sweep the floor throughout the day.  It was amazing!  Such a simple change made a big difference.  Not once did I feel cluttered or overwhelmed about the state of my house this week, because once the kitchen was cleaned I just made my way around the house picking up little things here or there.  With my house in order I was also able to focus on the other areas of my life...spiritual and physical.  I've been running to try and loose these last 8 pounds or so.  I started at 45 min 4 days a week and I'm now up to 50.  Its been tough if for nothing else but the time commitment, but some days I'm just mentally and physically beat.  I had an entire week where every run felt like drudgery and hurt almost from the first mile.  Of course this past week I finally had an amazing run where everything just clicked.  I can honestly say it was 50 minutes of bliss (I've never said that about ANY running).  I know I felt that way because I knew what it felt like to hurt the whole 50 minutes.  I'm not naive enough to think that I'll have great runs from here on out, but it was a nice motivator to keep up the hard work, because every once in awhile, you get to enjoy it!
As far as events on the horizon...Finn goes in for his check up next week so we will see how much our little dude has grown, plus I'll be asking for any doctororily advice about travelling with a 15 month old.  Our little fam is venturing off to Florida for a week in May.  We are excited to show Finn off to everyone there, but first we have to get there.  Seattle's one hour flight will feel like a breeze compared to the 5 hour flight.  I'm doing all my research, and gathering advice from mothers who have been in the trenches of flight with babies, so here's hoping for uneventful travels.

No comments: