Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Holy Snow Batman

A winter wonderland greeted us this morning. I was planning on driving this morning until Roy pulled back the blinds and said, "Maybe Jill should drive this morning."
What usually takes 5-10 minutes took 25 today, and everybody looked defeated. Jill turned up the heat and the tunes as we crept into work.
Day's like today remind me of my childhood. Those mornings when you would wake early and turn on the radio wishing beyond all hope that the snow had bought you freedom from another day of school. And when those days came it was magical; a day free of teachers, math problems, English theory, and all other school nonsense. You were free to bundle up, trudge out, and play. It was those unexpected days of freedom that brought a little extra light into the cold winter months. So now I sit watching the flakes being blown every which way, and in the back of my mind I think maybe it will snow so much that we will have to go home. We will have to go home, change into some comfy flannel Pj's, bring the water to a boil, and grab a good book. I know it's wishful thinking, but maybe just maybe....

5 comments:

Jill said...

It's also my wishful thinking... maybe, just maybe.

Kasi French said...

This title was the exact text I sent this morning to my siblings!! Love this!!

ANG said...

Yeah...it's tough being an adult. Nothing short of a terrorist attack shuts us down.

Colette said...

Remember all those times when we would think today is the day USU will close campus! And then they didn't close it until AFTER all our classes were done. I do.

Jessica Wigington said...

Beth, remember the snow day we had back in the day at Hillside? We went sledding in garbage bags down the hill, made a delicious breakfast...that was by far one of the best days of my life!!