Monday, September 21, 2009

Ever Changing

For some reason, as I near my thirties, I'm finding that one of the most difficult things to get my mind around is the fact that I will make a pop-cultural reference and it's completely lost in the younger crowd. This concept has been magnified being in the calling I am. The poor young women are completely unaware of the all the coolness they have missed out on. Their universe revolves around the newest phone and face book quizzes. I do have one young women who does share an interest in 80's music, which I think is just fabulous. But beyond that everything is just blank stares. It's been great pulling out Roy's vintage Nintendo that has the original Mario Bro. and Duck Hunt. You wouldn't believe the stares we got when we pulled out the gray plastic gun the size of a shot gun. They were laughing in hysterics at the dark age technology that we grew up with. So yes I'm facing that moment where my references to life no longer make sense to those younger than me, and that makes me the tiniest bit sad. It makes me sad that these kids don't know about John Stockton, Mr. Rogers, The Cure, Bill & Ted's, Nintendo, etc. I guess it's just another one of those growing pains we all inevitably face.

2 comments:

Kasi French said...

Are we really in this group that is 'nearing 30'? WOW!

ANG said...

...try ALREADY 30...something. And that is why it is YOUR responsibility to EDUCATE the younger generations in their cultural heritage. This is why my children watch the A-Team every week faithfully. (Thank goodness for the internet.)