Monday, July 14, 2008

sunburns, potty shelfs, and full moons

I just returned from a nostalgic filled week up at girls camp. I haven't been up to "The Stake " property in about 8 years and it brought back great memories of my youthful past. Most times I don't feel old enough to be a leader to these girls, and camp was no exception. I was continually asked by the stake leaders which year I was. Maybe one day I'll appreciate that I don't look or act like a grown up.


This calling has taught me a lot about patience especially since we have some real whiners as well as some girls with very short fuses that could be set off at anytime by anything. Which is why our stake award for "No Drama" was such a big deal.


While there I got myself a real winner of a sunburn, but don't worry I made sure my ears and face were covered with plenty of sunscreen, just not my arms and neck. It's finally starting to feel better.


We came away from camp with some great stories. The potty shelf incident came about after one of the leaders was asked where she had put her flashlight while using the porta potties. Her reply was that she just put it on the shelf in there. Now if any of you have had the fortunate opportunity of using one of these you know that they really don't consist of much except a hole and a seat and ours were no different. We of course had to explain to her that what she thought was a shelf, was in fact a urinal.


The full moon was also brought to us by a leader. While competing in a relay race (the type were you have to put on several things run down do something stupid and run back) one of our fabulous leaders threw caution to the wind. While running, her pants, that were several sizes to large, started the downward pull and by the time she had reached the end and had to bend down we all got an eye full. Needless to say the leaders insured a good time was had by all.


I also shared a lot of stories of my college days so thanks to Carla and Colette my girls are now using words like: eXpecially, boughtEN, tookEN, lucrative, and pacifically.


2 comments:

Colette said...

I would like to point out that pacifically was actually Stephanie (our FHE mom) and not Carla or myself. However, I am glad that my good Cyprus upbringing is influencing so many!

Beth said...

It's true and don't worry I told the story about stephanie correct it just that I didn't go into detail on the blog. But you guys truly did make an influence on the girls!