Friday, December 6, 2013

.simplifying Christmas.

It's seems that this time of year can become completely lost in all the hustling around to get the numerous tasks that inevitably come up in preparation for Christmas.  Although some of it is unavoidable, and in some cases, even enjoyable and fun, I wanted to cut down on a lot of the excess this year.  I suppose most of it started with decorating "low key" as to avoid any extra clutter that might hinder a house showing.  As I went through the box filled with Christmas fun, I selected only a few of our favorites to display.  Of course we had to have our tree...a real one...which we got for under $30 on black Friday.  I refuse to buy a tree over $40, and now understand why my mom always, despite our protests, found the cheaper trees and convinced us that the bare spots gave the tree character (you're awesome mom!).  Finn helped me pull out the ornaments and would give me long dialogs about each one.
The perfect set up if you have curious babies.



Next we set out our advent train.  This is probably Finn's favorite decoration as he gets to open a door everyday for a treat.  I also put in a scripture about Christ's birth for each day to keep us focused on what we are celebrating.  This has become a special thing for Finn and I to share every morning after Miss M has gone down for a nap.  We will sit and read the scripture, and I will explain what it means while he sucks on his candy.  It's my favorite time of day!

Besides a wreath on my door, the only other Christmas thing I have up is my nativity.  I used it for our family night to explain to Finn what was so important about Christmas.  I explained about how special the little baby was, and how he was born in a stable.  We showed him the angel and the star, and the shepherd and the wise men.  It was a simple lesson, as all lessons with a two year old have to be, but he knows the baby is Jesus and that all those people came to see him because he was important, and that is a good start.

So with our simple decorations, we are keeping it simple in pretty much every other way.  Gifts and activities are going to be on a small scale again this year.  We will go and see the lights some night (hopefully if it warms up a bit), get out and do some snow activities, and a few other get together with friends and family, but not much else...and I'm ok with it.  Santa is off the list for a few more years because I can just tell that Finn will not be into that.  He is so not a stranger person...even if it's Santa.
 can you tell this kid loves snow...especially eating it

 

With the gifts almost all purchased, Christmas cards all sent, and festivities underway, I can say we are ready for a simple and enjoyable Christmas season!

1 comment:

Evans Family said...

Love it! Keeping things simple at Christmas is such a wonderful idea. Your kids are so darling. Love it that you post so often about your goings on. You amaze me! Just wanted to drop you a line and let you know that I enjoy reading your blog and say hi. Keep up the good work you are doing as a wife and mother. Your kids are lucky to have you. Love, Kristine
Oh and Merry Christmas!