Friday, March 13, 2009

I'm Lent-ing

We are currently in the 40 days of fasting and abstinence that is known as Lent. While traditionally observed by Catholics around the world, I along with some others have decided to incorporate 40 days of abstinence into our routine. This is more of a curious experiment for myself rather than a chance to observe a religious/pagan rooted holiday. I think of Lent as a time to give up a vice, to forgo something that you are allowing to control part of your life. In my case, I have chosen to give up ice cream for the next 40 days. I love this piece of dairy heaven, not to the point that I consider it a vice, but to the point that I can't say no to it. When I'm in it's presence suddenly I have no self control, and I don't like that about me. Consequently, I said to myself, "self, if you can give it up for 40 days maybe I can say no to it during those times when I don' t really need it." So here's to 40 day's of lent-ing and learning to control some of my weaknesses!

3 comments:

Jill said...

I must say that your doing a fabulous job. I guess we'll see today during lunch and what you'll do at the time the dessert menu is being presented...

judi said...

Holy Cow! I couldn't ever give up ice cream for more than a day, okay maybe two. I have a scoop or three with milk every night before I go to bed, which reminds me......

Christy said...

Nice. good job.