Friday, January 9, 2009

Go Gators!



I love football...always have. I remember, as a child, watching with my dad and learning the intricacies of the game. I grew up with a fond devotion for John Elway and the Broncos as well as the BYU blue and white. I have to admit I lost a little of my football frenzy (who can blame me when I was an Aggie for 4 years).
However, recently I have entered a new football era of my life. Roy being the Florida boy that he is, it was inevitable that I would be indoctrinated into mainstream gatorhood. Every time I have been back to Florida with Roy, we have experienced some kind of gator fanaticism. The first time we went there was a girl on the side of the road waving us down. We pulled over to find out the women had ran out of gas. Roy gave her money for gas and she started rambling her thanks...most of which I couldn't understand because she was just jumping jabbering. About the only thing I did understand was when she yelled "Go gators" at the end of her ramblings! I thought it was strange, but she must have just been really stoked about the gas money. This last November my suspicions were confirmed when we walked into a sea of orange and blue when we went to lunch. Not a person in that restaurant, besides Roy and me, was not sporting their Gator pride. I told Roy that I will have to be armed with a gator t-shirt the next time we venture back to Florida because I'm tired of sticking out like a sore thumb. Plus I have to admit that I love that their stadium's name is the swamp...I really can't resist.

No comments: