Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Getting Older


Perhaps I have been thinking about the subject of getting older because of a recent birthday or perhaps I was just reading a younger perspective of life from a fellow blogger, but what ever the reason I have indeed been thinking about it. I don't consider myself older in the sense that I'm still relatively active and healthy and I haven't really slowed down at all. But I realize that a lot of my ideas about life have changed. In college I lived for late nights and huge groups of friends. As far as late nights go I have only completed one all nighter in my entire life and that happened almost by accident. Colette and I usually talked while lying in bed at night, but the conversation would usually end when Colette's response time got longer and longer. This particular night though we stayed up talking for hours and in the middle of our conversation we realized we were hungry. Off to the pantry for a midnight snack we went. We continued our conversation on a 4 in the morning walk, where we observed that there are quite a lot of people up at 4 in the morning. I think we were both surprised at how "not tired" we were at church the next day.

Late nights no longer exist for me. I love nothing better than to be curled up in my warm bed by 10 PM and very rarely do I stay up past 11 anymore. In college I also loved being around huge groups of people and just being in the thick of things. I don't know what switch was clicked, but now I love just being in small intimate groups. I often feel overwhelmed and suffocated in large unknown groups now. So although I'm still a "young 20 something" I feel like I've aged in different ways.

2 comments:

Amy and Micheal said...

That picture sure is something else! Talk about flexible! At least you still like to get together in intimate groups. Micheal and I have pretty much become professional hermits. But we enjoy it like that.

Colette said...

My favorite thing about staying up all night was that when we went to church we were asked the question about how to prepare for Sunday . . . and the high councilman suggested getting a good nights sleep. I have only stayed up all night a few times, and by far that night was one of the best!