Friday, September 12, 2008

It can't be denied



Fall is nearly upon us and I'm so stoked! It is my true opinion that autumn is the best time of year. The clean, crisp air is tinged with the smell of wood burning smoke. College hoodies are pulled from storage to be worn in full support of your favorite football teams. The leaves turn vibrant hues of orange, yellow, and red. Underfoot there is a the satisfying sound of crunching leaves. Harvest produce of apples, squash, and pumpkins begin to be seen at corner farmer markets.


There are just so many sights, sounds, and smells around this time of year that conjure up fond memories of my past. It truly is a special time of year when I feel like all the hearthy, rustic, and homey feelings seem to reach their apex. So I wait in anticipation as the next weeks creep along into full autumn splendor and I get to wear sweaters and flip flops (the best combination), carve into bulbous gourdes, cook freshly harvested goods, hike up into the fall foliage as I crunch the dried leaves on the ground. I can hardly wait!

3 comments:

garrett said...

"...carve into bulbous gourdes..." That may very well be the best description of making jack-o-lanterns I have ever heard in my entire life. Seriously. I don't know if it's just because I share your excitement and love of autumnous activities, smells, sights, and sounds that I was so touched by that line, but man... Excellent work, Bendy! I can't wait for the fall, either!!

Beth said...

Thanks Garrett,
I'm glad you liked my descriptive writing (that means a lot coming from a writer of your caliber) I'm also glad that you share my same excitment for fall....there really is just something special about this time of year.

Amy and Micheal said...

Hey chica, you stole the words right out of my mouth, but made them better than I ever could! Autumn rocks! I need some hot apple cider now, but does that go with pigs in a blanket? :)